Hey Fab Bats!
Back in January I compiled some links for Goths of color and was surprised by your enthusiastic reactions. As today marks World Goth Day, let’s spin some O. Children, spike up our jackets and help a few fellow Bats! Just to reiterate: Dining with Dana is for all backgrounds – including you green folks from Leprechaun 2. If you’re in need of representation or simply seek community support, these haunts are sealed and approved:
- Industrial Anti Oppression fights for the oppressed and repressed in the Industrial scene.
- Beijing Punk documentary on Beijing’s underground scene during the year of the Olympics.
- POCs in Goth/Punk/Alternative music Masterpost for a long list of bands.
- Mostly Female Japanese Rock minipost
- Metal Archives – browse by country which covers a multitude of areas.
- 70s-late 90s Goths/Punks of Color
- Beautiful Black Dos Masterpost
- Alternative Black Girls on Youtube minipost
- Original Tarot Illustrator, Pamela Coleman Smith
- Goths of Color Beauty Tips guest post on Stripy Tights and Dark Delights.
- Afrogoth: Simple Label or Major Movement? making sense of Afrogoth, Afropunk, Steamfunk and what it entails.
- gothiccharmschool on Goths of Color.
- “I am so goth I was born black” inspirational article on Coilhouse.
- Goths of Color article on Morbid Outlook.
- Mumbai’s Goths
- Latin Goths and People of Color Oppressing Each Other
- Being a Black Goth…the Conundrum on Mooky Chick.
- Metal in the Middle East
- The Last Goths of Tashkent (Uzbekistan)
- Is Black Goth Culture a Rebellion or an Evolution?
- Diversity in Outcasts: Ending Racism in Goth Subculture
- Afropunk alternative afro community and major festival.
- Indian Goths Facebook group
- Black/African American Goths group on Facebook.
- Goth.net Middle East/Russia/Europe forums.
- African American Gothic Lolita Community
- Color Me Goth no longer active, but this was a fab blog about a Goth of Color.
- blacksheepgoths covers multiple ethnicities and underrepresented alternative folk.
- proletariangothic collects images of underrepresented punks.
- iamsogothiwasbornblack afro Goth blog.
- darqueandlovely alternative multicultural images.
- F*ck Yeah Black Goths images of black goths.
- tokyo-fashion street snaps in Tokyo.
- Spookyloop’s blog list for many more.
While this has a large (but not exclusive) focus on black goths I encourage you to share your own links, resources and advice in the comments!
Having issues as a Goth (be you Monochrome or of Color)? Feeling a little less dark lately? Experiencing Halloween withdrawal? Comment and my rabid readers and I will help you.